Friday, August 17, 2012

Reconsecration of Afflicted Planets' Talismans?


I had a poster ask about reconsecrating a Jupiter talisman when Jupiter was in detriment, which he will be until Summer of 2013. Definitely if we are creating a talisman we want to be careful about the election.

In essence we are "freezing" the moment of the creation of the talisman permanently in the talisman and at the moment of the initial consecration the spirit of the planet, star, etc., takes up residence in the talisman and begins the connection to the spirit.

Picatrix gives the example of Saturn,

How to speak with Saturn. When you want to speak with Saturn and ask him for whatever you wish, you must wait until he enters into good condition, of which the best is when he is in Libra, which is his exaltation, next in Aquarius, which is the house of his rejoicing, and last in Capricorn, which is his second house.
If you cannot have him in any of these three places, put him in one of his terms or triplicities or in an oriental angular or succeedent house (among all of which the angle of the midheaven is to be preferred), direct in his course, and in a masculine quarter, being oriental as mentioned above. Beware of his detriment and unfortunate aspects, of which the worst of all is a square aspect with Mars, and do not let him be cadent.
The most important point (of which you should take diligent care) is that you should see that the planet is in good condition and quality, and remote from infortunes, because when he is like this, he is like a man of good will and a lively heart and a great and ample mind, and if another person seeks something from him, he cannot find it in himself to deny the petitioner. When the same planet is retrograde in his course or cadent from the angles, he is like a man full of anger and ill will, who is most ready to deny a petition.


Picatrix Bk III ch 7.

Reconsecrating talismans is essentially renewing that original connection. Certainly it would be nice to have a good election for this, but I think it is less crucial. Following on from the passage in Picatrix quoted above, if contacting Jupiter when he is in detriment, though currently also dignified by term, means he is cranky. He's not going to be as helpful or generous, but at least you are keeping the connection going.

I've done a daily invocation of the planet that rules the day, everyday for years without ill effects. Still if one is cautious one could wait until Jupiter is unafflicted, the downside here is the loss of connection when reconsecration doesn't take place.

I then had another poster ask if I was reconsecrating all of my talismans daily. Hmmm...well perhaps technically no. I do an invocation of the planet of the day every day and I have talismans all over my altar space where I am doing the invocation, but since I don't suffumigate (move them back and forth through incense) I'm not sure I'd say I'm reconsecrating them.

On the other hand they are on the altar.....

Then again, with my Mansion talismans, 3rd, 7th, etc., every month when the Moon is in the appropriate Mansion I do actually reconsecrate with incense as well as candles. I often have 5 candles going at once, for example I had candles for the 3rd & 7th Mansions, a 6th Moon pentacle for rain (it's working!!!) the Sun from the Hermetic Zen Sun ritual, and the planet of the day all burning away. I use candles by the case!

This makes me think about the whole process and setup though. I guess you could say, for me, it's all about the overall connection to the spirits of the planets, stars, etc. I'm continually working on renewing my connection to these spirits in a devotional context. I wear the colors of the planet of the day, do daily invocations, do initial consecrations of mirror talismans and do reconsecrations of talismans. Talismans are part of this process, but not the sole focus.

No comments: